WHAT WE DO
Forest Development & Reforestation Division
Mr. Richardson Raomae, Deputy Commissioner,
Tel : 24503/24215, Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The Forest Development & Reforestation Division was established in year 2008 from the activities mandatory under the Former AusAid Forestry Management joint Program (FMP). The Division was set up following consultations by the former FMP management and Senior Government officials to implement the National Forest Plantation Development Program through promotion of small holder Forest Plantation Scheme.
To effectively implement the National Forest Plantation development program in all provinces of SI so that future wood supply can be generated from forest plantations even when there is a decline in wood supply from the natural forest.
- To successfully implement the National Forest Plantation Development program
- To facilitate reforestation enterprises (promote medium to large scale Forest Plantation Development).
- To ensure farmers & resource owners receive relevant information & Training on Forest Plantation Silviculture.
- To provide logistic support to provincial forestry stations for efficient & effective implementation of approved programs.
- To ensure accurate data on forest plantation establishment
- To improve genetic quality of planting materials used in the program
- Increase seed sources and maximize seed supply & production.
- Promote enrichment planting
- Effectively participate in Joint scientific research
- Maintain link to rural communities through village base Forestry extension network.
- Monitor program activities.
Under the division, there are 16 provincial stations for forest extension services ; 5 stations(19 VBFEOs) in Eastern Region, 5 stations(19 VBFEOs) in Central Region, 6 stations(15 VBFEOs) in Western Region. VBFEO is Village-Based Forestry Extension Officer.
- Assist families, communities, associations on reforestation activities.
- Conduct training and awareness workshops on forest development and forestation activities.
- Maintain and expand demonstration plots at existing locations for local out grower’s communities and interested groups/individuals.
- Implement the National Forest Plantation Development Program.
- Implement seed collections and distribution for both exotic and indigenous species.
- Collaborate with regional and international organizations on silviculture, agroforestry, tree improvement programs.
- Collaborate and implement seed orchards with communities.
- Establish the Forest Research Division in consultation with other divisions
- Promote and implement enrichment planting, regeneration management and afforestation activities.
- Establish and maintain of provincial nurseries.
- Facilitate the establishment of new stations and accommodation in collaboration with Corporative Service Division.
- Establish, manage and update reforestation database with GIS/GPS.
- Facilitate marketing of out-grower’s plantation timber products.